Monday, March 21, 2011

Seeds of Spring




I'm super excited that the first day of Spring has arrived along with the up and down weather pattern that ushers in the upcoming summer season. This past weekend, we took full advantage and spent the entire day outside doing yard clean-up. We weeded, planted, trimmed, watered, raked, and shoveled. I planted 15 bulbs of things I've never heard of and with each burial, said a slight prayer to the planting gods to "bless these beds and produce healthy strong sprouts". The fresh air was calming and the already early blooms were picturesque.

We started composting last fall and our meager pile has grown into a huge 6x8x 1ft high pile of decomposed fruits, veggies, other table scraps, and dried leaves- which is actually great recycled fertilizer. The fun part was transporting it to a new area of the yard- lotta work!



So now, my next task is starting seeds. When we visited Massachusetts last fall, my new uncle-in-law gave me a bunch of seeds out of his garden to try in my own. Cone flower, Lamb's Ear, Hollyhock, Sweet William, Gaillardia, (don't be impressed- I googled all of them). It's too cold to sow seeds outdoors at this time of the year, so I got a little greenhouse kit and planted the seeds today. I'll keep them indoors until they sprout and get strong enough to hold their own, then transport them into the ground, late April- I think. I'm excited and nervous because I've never messed with seeds before. But it's neat to see something grow from scratch. It's most exciting just the trying and experimenting.

Hmmm.... Spring.

1 comment:

  1. "Those who labor in the earth are the chosen people of God." -Thomas Jefferson

    ReplyDelete